Monday, November 7, 2011

Listening as a Gift

Recently I was struck by the power of listening, and what a gift it is when you experience someone really listening to you.

I have often been called a good listener, and have found that to listen is to tune in to wonderful sources of wisdom. Over the years I've grown a lot from practicing this art, though I know at times I really fall short.

My recent experience, however, was to be on the receiving end of this gift. I was in a group engaged in casual but rather deep exchange.  Real listening was happening as passion, faith, and life experiences were being shared. We were finding kindred spirits in one another.

That's when I was struck (and that word is a good metaphor for what happened within me). I started to contribute something to the flow of conversation and everyone stopped talking, looked at me, and listened. What power that group action had on me! It was both an ego boost and a cautionary event. It made me realize two things: 1 - others were interested in finding out if I had anything of value to say; 2 - I'd better have something useful to say or I was wasting the precious moments that this group was sharing.

As I said, in the past people have called me a good listener, but after this experience I have a much deeper realization of what the act of listening can do for another. I've always looked at listening  primarily  as a tool; it can help accomplish many things both within and among individuals and groups. Now, however, this encounter showed me that in and of itself, being really listened to is a very special blessing. I hope I can grow in my ability to give this gift to others.

a KY monk

No comments:

Post a Comment