Monday, October 3, 2011

Days of Jubilee

I haven't blogged in quite a while, but the events of last weekend were really unique. My community, family, and lots of friends came together to help me celebrate 50 years of monastic profession. Part of the celebration involved my giving a piano concert. I don't do this much, but for the occasion I was hoping to create a time and space where a variety of people I care about could meet and make new or refresh old connections. It worked!

Relatives who hadn't seen each other in a long time came together at something other than a funeral or wedding.  Community members, along with old and new friends, met some of my family for the first time, and vice versa.

One thing that gave me great pleasure was how much my immediate family enjoyed the music and ritual of our evening prayer where I renewed my vows. This was something I didn't really expect because it was so new to a number of them. 

Something that overwhelmed me was how many of my community members contributed extra time, effort, and energy to bringing everything to its peak. From cooks and bakers to dishwashers to furniture arrangers to pray-ers.... it was humbling. And my family noticed this high level of concern and care. They made a point of telling me how important it was for them to see this.

I'm in the process of writing thank you cards now, but there are so many people to thank, I'm afraid it will take a long time. I'm hoping that in the meantime they won't think I took for granted their contributions to the celebration. It was quite a weekend!

a KY monk

No comments:

Post a Comment