Saturday, February 16, 2013

Seems death has been making the rounds recently in my small corner of our world. We've had 3 community members die since December. In my last blog I commented on the death of Bishop Hughes and the impact he had on my life. Today another acquaintance died. This one, Sara, had recently become more of a friend; I was growing in a deep appreciation of her -- her gentleness, her humor, her fidelity, and her patience with suffering. (She had cancer.)

It was just Friday that I found out Sara was dying, so I made arrangements to go over and visit with her in her home. When I walked in I was struck silent by how close she looked to leaving this earth that she embraced so vibrantly. I knew she loved music, particularly mine, so I had taken along some appropriate pieces to sing to her. I did that, but she couldn't acknowledge with any kind of response. (She did have tears running from her eyes, but when I inquired from her daughter, she said that happens on frequent occasions since her stroke. I figure it could have been a response to the music or it might not. No matter.)

The next day, today, I was shown a little memoir about her mother that Sara had written. I read almost the entire thing in one sitting, and Sara's personna just jumped out and danced in my mind. I wished I had known about the book sooner. I wanted to tell her what delight I found in its pages and how much it revealed about her, not just her mama. In between jobs during the day I kept thinking I wanted to go over and tell Sara how much I enjoyed her writing. Even tho she might not understand, there was a chance she might, so I wanted to tell her. I couldn't get away. Then this afternoon Sara died.

One of the losses death can bring is the loss of potential, the loss of the possibilites
that exist in every relationship. I will miss Sara, not only for her bright eyes and quiet smile, but for all that she bore within that I didn't know about. I didn't "tune in" to her soon enough. She is a treasure that was just beginning to be unearthed in my personal garden. Thank you, Sara, and thank you, God. Help me to learn from this to start knowing people sooner.

a ky monk

No comments:

Post a Comment