Friday, August 17, 2012

Some images that speak to me of God



I am a visual learner; images really help me understand things. For example, I find a map or printed directions much more helpful than oral description. I had an experience during retreat that reminded me of how important images are in my spiritual life, and it took me back to the poetry of Hafiz, a 14th century writer in Persia (now Iran).

The book I Heard God Laughing is the renderings of Hafiz' poetry by Daniel Ladinsky, an American midwestern poet who lived years in India. (He calls his work "renderings" because his goal is to capture the spirit of Hafiz rather than give readers a  literal translation.)

The image that caught my eye this time was: “Pulling out the chair beneath your mind and watching you fall upon God” O that I could let go of my own plans and develop that kind of trust when things go awry. (If you are interested in reading a little more on this, I plan to write about it next week in our monastery blog: http://stwalburg.blogspot.com. )

Some of the other Hafiz images that I really appreciate:
* "We all sit in God's classroom" (page 41) - This sounds so much like Benedict and his image of the "school of the Lord's service"

* "I bow to God in gratitude and I find the moon is also busy doing the same." (p.37). It reminds me of a poem I wrote some 60+ years ago in high school: "I saw the moon aleisure on through a cloud-filled sky. I stopped and thought within myself,'What a God have I.'"
* "My heart sits on the arm of God like a tethered falcom suddenly unhooded." (P. 97)The freedom we have without realizing it!
* "God is trying to sell you something but you don't want to buy" (p. 13). Like any sales person, God is limited by my choices. I can't be forced because of the freedom God created within us from the beginning.
* "The saint is now continually tripping over joy."(p. 127)  Isn't that a neat idea? I know some people who seem to have that ability already. Maybe I'll get better in that department!

There are many more thoughts and images from this ancient writer that resonate with me. Maybe I'll come back to him in a future blog.

a kentucky monk



No comments:

Post a Comment